LONDON ESG (ENVIRONMENT, SOCIAL, GOVERNANCE) INTERNSHIP 2019
We are soliciting applications for an internship position in our London office, to work primarily alongside our Head of ESG.
The intern would assist in all aspects of the investment, monitoring and reporting process. The intern will be required to handle a meaningful level of responsibility, including but not limited to due diligence, monitoring and reporting, engagement with portfolio companies and industry ESG research.
Applicants must be able to work full-time for 6 months from early summer 2019.
Permira is an international private equity firm. The Permira funds, raised from pension funds and other institutions, make long-term investments in companies with the ambition of transforming their performance and driving sustainable growth.
Founded in 1985, the firm advises funds with a total committed capital in excess of $35 billion with the objective of transforming their performance and driving sustainable growth. Since 1985 the Permira funds have made over 250 private equity investments in five sectors: Technology, Consumer, Financial Services, Healthcare and Industrials. The Permira funds’ portfolio has included Magento, WeddingWire, Allegro, Ancestry.com, Genesys, Informatica, NDS, TeamViewer, LegalZoom, Exclusive Group and Teraco.
Permira employs over 250 professionals based in 14 offices including Frankfurt, Guernsey, Hong Kong, London, Luxembourg, Madrid, Menlo Park, Milan, New York, Paris, Seoul, Shanghai, Stockholm and Tokyo.
Permira believes that a focus on ESG and sustainability is an important part of building lasting value in the funds’ portfolio companies. ESG considerations are embedded throughout the investment process and are expected to be a key part of the governance of the funds’ portfolio companies. ESG sits within Permira’s Portfolio Group, the team that works with deal teams and portfolio companies on value creation plans.
Due Diligence for potential investments
- ESG related research as part of due diligence for potential transactions
- Review of ESG-related due diligence materials and documents
- Attending investment committee meetings, where relevant
- Use of RepRisk (reputational risk database) to monitor/check companies for previous/emerging reputational/ESG issues
- Support on annual portfolio ESG monitoring and reporting
- Data analytics of previous years ESG data and analysis of trends
- Support on key projects including:
- Portfolio diversity and inclusion project
- Energy efficiency and climate risk project
- Cyber security and data protection initiative
- ESG reviews and portfolio company engagement (e.g. working with consultants on ESG reviews for selected portfolio companies)
- Support developing ESG impact case studies for selected portfolio companies
- Preparing draft responses to investor queries and questionnaires on specific ESG-related topics (Investor relations provide general responses but can require support on some more specific topics)
- Participation in investor monitoring calls and/or meetings on ESG
ESG/Portfolio Group Framework and internal initiatives
- Review and revision of ESG sector guidelines for investment professionals
- Drafting content for ESG newsletters and internal communications
- Work on internal ESG related projects for the firm (e.g. modern slavery act, carbon footprint)
- Support for the Portfolio Group in building knowledge sharing platform on value creation levers, value creation plan monitoring and financial/operational KPIs
Essential Skills and Characteristics
- Knowledge and understanding of environment, social and/or governance topics
- Knowledge of, or interest in, approaches to ESG integration and value creation levers for the private equity industry
- Intellectual curiosity
- A naturally confident networker with a strong ability to develop relationships
- Strong analytical skills
- Commercial awareness and judgment
- Attention to detail and the ability to review and interpret data and make appropriate recommendations
- Excel and PowerPoint
- The candidate may or may not have existing sector knowledge in any of Permira’s key sectors
- Strong communication and presentation skills – ability to communicate in an articulate manner, logically and with confidence
- Ability to work constructively as part of a small internal team and work closely with third party advisors and partners
- High level of motivation, integrity, energy and enthusiasm
Pre-MBA experience in sustainability/ESG consulting, sustainability/ESG management, private equity, public investing, management consulting or investment banking is strongly preferred. Solid academic performance at a top undergraduate and postgraduate (Masters) program is expected, as well as strong analytical, communication, and leadership skills.
Fluency in English is a pre-requisite.
How to Apply
To apply please send your CV and a cover letter to [email protected] with the subject clearly marked as APPLICATION FOR LONDON ESG SUMMER INTERNSHIP 2019
Please direct any queries concerning this position to [email protected]Apply now